Sunday, July 09, 2006

Basketball & A Close Team

From Kevin Lansing

What’s up ziom? I have had a wonderful experience this second year in Poland. This year’s camp was, of course, spectacular. I was unsure of what to expect being that the camp was in a different location with some new faces but I have been pleasantly surprised by how things have turned out. I made some very strong bonds with most of the Polish leadership team last year and these bonds were strengthened this year, as I was able to spend more time behind the scenes due to my involvement in camp music.

God has blessed me richly this year with many friendships. One in particular, though, has impacted me the most. I have always wondered how God would use basketball in my life to bring glory to his name, especially in a sport where I have learned to play so aggressively and anything but Christ-like. However, its not how I play the game but rather how I carry myself that the Lord can use, it’s the relationships that can be created through common interest which are important. My Father has used both of these attributes on this trip with astounding results as I witnessed a young man, one of my best friends, come so very close to establishing a relationship with Christ.

Our team is very close this year. The Polish and American Christians are very strong this year and closely united. Love is in the house this year, and the house was packed, people heard things they’ve never heard before. They wrestled with things they’ve never thought about before. And they saw hope and love like they’ve never dreamed before. Whether it is from the wild and crazy things that took place or the deep and personal things that students heard. Maybe it was the spiritual battle lined drawn on classroom floors or evening programs, only God knows. But I do know one thing…. Love was in the house.

Our team is very close this year, close to Polish students and leaders alike, and because of this it was very hard to leave…. heartbreaking…because part of my heart will always be in Poland.

No comments: