Saturday, July 01, 2006

We're In Zielona Gora!

From Kate Goddard

Hi Everyone… Yes, we’re here, and it is sweet. I was excited to go to Poland, but after the delay I was SO EXCITED to get here. Like Tierra said, Auschwitz was shocking. It hit me differently the second time because I knew what was coming, and instead of trying to take it all in, I just kind of sat back and watched. The images that I saw there I will never forget.

Ever since we landed in Poland we have been going non-stop. First spending the night in Krakow, then an 8-hour van ride, and then straight into Pre-Camp. It was so nice to see all of the people that I met last year and see how they changed. I was glad to see that people remembered me and that I actually remembered their names. There were a lot of new people at the one day of pre-camp that we had but also a lot of returning students. I’m excited to continue where I left off with people last year, and excited to meet and get to know the new students.

It’s 9:15 p.m. and the sun is still up enough to make you believe that it is only 7:30 or 8. That’s just one of many differences that I have discovered in Europe. I also had another interesting and unique encounter; we made a lunch stop at McDonalds on our way to Zielona Gora, and while I was eating, a group of Nuns walked in. I tried not to laugh because it’s disrespectful, but I have to admit, I chuckled a little. It was the first time I’d eaten with Nuns. I’m looking forward to many new experiences and hope God continues guiding and watching over our team.

No comments: